Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

Gary Lewis
I'm going on a cruise in 3 week's time and need to appoint assistant admin's on my forum that can approve new members once people have registered.  But I'm only finding the "admin" level of authority, which, in untrained hands, could easily wreak havoc.  Am I missing something?

If not, is there any chance you could implement such a level of authority?  I see the needed authorities as:

1. Ability to receive "notification of registration" emails
2. Ability to edit membership of User Groups - although in a fully hierarchical system perhaps not able to make someone an admin or assistant admin, or to remove that level of authority.

Please?  Pretty please?

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

Many forums require require more than registration to be authorised to post and unless you are prepared to give someone else the ability to remove you from control of your your own forum, (i.e. make them an Administrator) then new users have to wait until you are available to manage your forum again.

So for that reason I have long felt that Nabble needs an additional "Asst Admin" User Group in the standard package.

The "Options > Application" sub-menu has grown like Topsy recently, with no consideration for the options already available on the "Extras & Add-on" screen. Implementing this new group is an opportunity to rationalise those options and add/move the two features Gary mentions, to appear as two new rows on the Permissions screen - with checkboxes only in the Administrator and Asst Admin columns. In the case of "Edit_user_groups" the Asst Admin would not be able to edit membership of the Administrator group.

EDIT: Thnking about the "Change Permissions" screen. The "Administrators" column would need to be excluded from view unless logged in as an Administrator.

As a temporary fall back, which might be easier to implement, an alternative solution would be to create a "Super Administrator" status for the initial Administrator, a status that can not be removed by those added to the Administrator group later, but could be passed to another.

just my thoughts - long standing ones!

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

goldenring20000
May be you may make temporary free registration without confirmation.
When you are back you may correct any mess if required.

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

That won't work! If you don't confirm your email address you remain in the "Anyone" group with no further privileges than any member of the public. The only way to have the facilities needed to do what Gary proposed is to upgrade a "Registered" user to "Administrator". That also gives that person the right to remove you as an Administrator. Gary could return from his trip to find his forum hijacked an out of his control.

Check out  my guidance on Controlling Access to a Nabble forum

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

Gary Lewis
Ok, I'm ready to go on another cruise and needed to appoint someone as an Assistant Admin.  That role now exists in the scheme, so I tried it.  No dice.

I had assumed that the role was one that had been created globally.  But having searched for an announcement and finding none I now fear that it is one that I created in a failed attempt.  Am I correct?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

GregChapman
Hi Gary,

Unfortunately, the position is still as I report in "NOTE 2" right at the top of my Permissions article in the "Controlling Access" item in my Administrator's Guide. (Looking at the date of the last update to that post, it looks as if I created "Note 2" right after I made last year's post here.)

In short, while you can create User Groups with titles like "Asst Admin" or "Moderator" there are many key permissions which only Administrators can access, making such groups near pointless.

Taking those permissions out of the default menu options for Administrators and placing them on the "Change Permissions" screen, so one can add them to any other group you create, would not be a simple task - certainly beyond my limited NAML skills. :-(

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

Gary Lewis
Thanks, Greg.  Apparently I created the Assistant Admin role and it is for naught.

I really wish I had known of this serious flaw before I got so far into Nabble.  I have to entrust my forum to people who can do significant damage accidentally because they have the same level of authority that I have.  It is very scary.

So, since Assistant Admin didn't show up as a "badge" when I used it, is it possible to create any role and have it show up?  Perhaps "Moderator"?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

GregChapman
I haven't attempted to use or edit it, but the post at:
http://support.nabble.com/Listing-user-groups-below-its-avatar-td7590251.html
would appear to be a good starting point to work out how to add the feature.

I'm yet to work out the code required to detect one of your own added groups, such "Asst Admin", but it would appear easy enough to show a default group, e.g. "Member", beneath a relevant person's avatar.

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

Gary Lewis
Greg - Thanks.  I'll check into it and report back.

But, I need to have at least moderators that have a bit of power but not much.  So I need to sort this somehow.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

Gary Lewis
Greg - That works, but it is ..... inelegant.  It shows all groups of which the person is a member.  Like:

I see what code is generating that and may be able to modify it to give only the highest level, but I don't know that I can.

I did take another approach and duplicated the command that says "<n.avatar_label condition="[n.owner.is_site_admin/]" label="[b][t]Administrator[/t][/b]"/>" and modified it to be "n.owner.is_member" or "site_member" with the hope that I could determine the parsing order of the commands and create the hierarchy.  But, neither "member" or "site_member" was recognized and they caused an error.

And, unfortunately, said error came coincidentally, I hope, with a Nabble outage.  So I couldn't get back to edit that out on my test forum and it looked like I'd caused myself a lot of grief.  But then I realized that neither this support forum nor my Bullnose forum were working, so waited until it came back.

Now that I'm back up, if I but knew what the group is actually called maybe that approach would work.  So I'll poke around a bit to see if I can find out.  But, if you know....
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

GregChapman
I did say "starting point".

I recognised that Pedro's example was an "all groups" solution, but it did demonstrate that it was possible to list a home-created group (Group1).

That was when I befuddled my brain trying to work out how to do what you wanted.

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

GregChapman
Related to the main purpose of this topic...

For what it's worth, in my test forum, I did try turning on every permission for a registered user and could not see a single menu option missing other than the two that appear on an Administrator's account on the "Users" menu:

Change permissions
Manage users & Groups

That suggests to me that it might not be too difficult for the good folk at Nabble to add these two properties, certainly "Manage Users & Groups", to the Change Permissions screen and  thereby allow the creation an Asst Administrator group with the ability to add/remove users from the "Member" and other such groups that a forum might have for trusted/paying users.

So perhaps we just need to shout a little louder about it, because you and me both consider it a very serious omission not to be able to have Assistant admins who can edit the groups a user belongs to.

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

Gary Lewis
Greg - I certainly do consider it a serious omission.  In fact, had I known that I would need an Assistant Admin role before settling on Nabble I might well have gone another way instead.  It is that serious.

By the very nature of my forum I have hundreds of people I've never met as members.  And I've had to choose a few to be Admins so they can keep things going as I carry on with life.  For instance, as you know, I've just come off a cruise with all my family wherein there was no internet coverage, so I couldn't even approve new members.  And, I'm getting ready to take that 50th wedding anniversary trip I mentioned to you, and don't want to be administering the site.

So, now I have people I've never met that can, should they desire to do so, destroy the site.    I'm begging, if not pleading, for an Assistant Admin role.  PLEASE, Nabble!

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/