Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

Gary Lewis
I'm going on a cruise in 3 week's time and need to appoint assistant admin's on my forum that can approve new members once people have registered.  But I'm only finding the "admin" level of authority, which, in untrained hands, could easily wreak havoc.  Am I missing something?

If not, is there any chance you could implement such a level of authority?  I see the needed authorities as:

1. Ability to receive "notification of registration" emails
2. Ability to edit membership of User Groups - although in a fully hierarchical system perhaps not able to make someone an admin or assistant admin, or to remove that level of authority.

Please?  Pretty please?

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

GregChapman
This post was updated on .

Many forums require require more than registration to be authorised to post and unless you are prepared to give someone else the ability to remove you from control of your your own forum, (i.e. make them an Administrator) then new users have to wait until you are available to manage your forum again.

So for that reason I have long felt that Nabble needs an additional "Asst Admin" User Group in the standard package.

The "Options > Application" sub-menu has grown like Topsy recently, with no consideration for the options already available on the "Extras & Add-on" screen. Implementing this new group is an opportunity to rationalise those options and add/move the two features Gary mentions, to appear as two new rows on the Permissions screen - with checkboxes only in the Administrator and Asst Admin columns. In the case of "Edit_user_groups" the Asst Admin would not be able to edit membership of the Administrator group.

EDIT: Thnking about the "Change Permissions" screen. The "Administrators" column would need to be excluded from view unless logged in as an Administrator.

As a temporary fall back, which might be easier to implement, an alternative solution would be to create a "Super Administrator" status for the initial Administrator, a status that can not be removed by those added to the Administrator group later, but could be passed to another.

just my thoughts - long standing ones!

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!
GregHelp - Building a set of answers to Nabble FAQs.

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

goldenring20000
May be you may make temporary free registration without confirmation.
When you are back you may correct any mess if required.

Re: Assistant Admin Level Of Authority?

GregChapman
This post was updated on .
That won't work! If you don't confirm your email address you remain in the "Anyone" group with no further privileges than any member of the public. The only way to have the facilities needed to do what Gary proposed is to upgrade a "Registered" user to "Administrator". That also gives that person the right to remove you as an Administrator. Gary could return from his trip to find his forum hijacked an out of his control.

Check out  my guidance on Controlling Access to a Nabble forum