Archives in a different format possible?

Archives in a different format possible?

erkan
Hello, I was wondering if obtaining the archives in a different format (like MYSQL database dump) is possible.

I've downloaded the archives of my nabble forum (forum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com) but unfortunately the other forum software I am experimenting with does not import from XML.

Thank you in advance,
-erkan

Re: Archives in a different format possible?

Hugo <Nabble>
You would have to create a small program to convert the data, even if we export it to SQL. Each forum out there has its own data structure and we can't satisfy all cases with some generic format. So converting XML to MySql will not be more work than converting SQL to SQL.

Re: Archives in a different format possible?

erkan
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
You would have to create a small program to convert the data, even if we export it to SQL. Each forum out there has its own data structure and we can't satisfy all cases with some generic format. So converting XML to MySql will not be more work than converting SQL to SQL.
Thanks for the fast reply, Hugo. I am not good with these kinds of stuff, but I understand what you mean.

So, is there any chance that you can export it to SQL for me?

This is what I've been told by the support team of the other forum software I am experimenting with:

"That's what our custom conversions personnel can do; create a conversion program based on content and layout of the SQL database. But that would be the first step, getting an SQL database so we can see if it's even possible. Please ask Nabble to provide you an SQL database, and if you will provide that to us, we can see whether a conversion will be possible."

So we would really appreciate it, if you could provide us an SQL database.

Thanks again for your helps.

-erkan

Looking at our XML data isn't much different than looking at what we could generate in SQL. The other company could look at our XML and see the fields the table would have. Here is a small help article about it:
http://www.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=54

Re: Archives in a different format possible?

erkan
I see, I guess that won't work for us. But thank you anyway. I have another question but I'm not sure if I should open a new thread for it.

I tried to change my forum's domain from forum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com to oldforum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com as I was planning to move to an other software (I won't give a name, not to do an unfair advertising).

But I decided not to do that change, now I want to revert the action and keep my nabble forum in the domain "forum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com"

I wonder if you can help me. I cannot access my forum right now through either addresses. The default address of my forum (http://what-is-fatmagul-s-fault.979740.n3.nabble.com/) doesn't work either, it redirects to forum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com (the address we've been using for months) which is not working right now due to me confirming the change from forum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com to oldforum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com.

I hope this wasn't confusing.

Thank you for everything, nabble will be my favourite free hosted community service regardless of whether I carry my existing forum elsewhere or not. You guys are awesome. Keep it up!

Re: Archives in a different format possible?

erkan
Ah, our forum is back now. Thanks :)

Re: Archives in a different format possible?

Hugo <Nabble>
It was probably a DNS propagation issue. If you need more help, than just let us know. If you want to leave to another software, we can understand. May I ask you what was your problem(s) with our software? We really want to improve it. As you probably know, we are about to release the templates feature, which will give users full access to the HTML pages, plus new designs, add-ons, extra features, etc.