Anyone got a sample Gallery?

mywaytoo
I cannot work out how I should best set up a gallery... For people, areas, topics???
Has anyone got one that I can look at, please?

Anne

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

☪Not_A_Admin
i got a sample gallery

not sure what you exactly want
but heres mine

http://forum.animeron.info/Tanveers-Gallery-f890413.html

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

mywaytoo wrote
I cannot work out how I should best set up a gallery... For people, areas, topics???
I think I understand the problem!

I'd like a layout added to the application list that allows me to pick one image from each sub-gallery to use as a thumbnail for that sub-gallery.

At the moment, any image in a sub-gallery is displayed as a thumbnail in the parent gallery (with a note of which sub-gallery the full image is stored in). For me that merges the sub-galleries and parent gallery too closely and the separation is not intuitive.

Currently, I can find no solution other than to have a lot of galleries as sub-applications of a "Board". While the Board layout shows the title and description of the various images in each gallery it lacks the thumbnails I would like.

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

mywaytoo
I have decided to have a separate 'gallery' for each 'idea/problem/whatever'... BUT now have what I think is a coding problem... Have a look here... http://welwynhatfield.983918.n3.nabble.com/Tesco-Site-in-Welwyn-Garden-City-td2315530.html

Ideally I would like 3 pictures on each row... Top row is OK, but I need to force a new row for the second row... then I could set up the images with "left" each time. As it is, the second row is trying to completely fill up the first row...
Anne

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

GregChapman
I see the problem. All your images are floated left. The first three fit fine (though perhaps could afford to total a few pixels wider). Image #4 won't fit on Row 1, so drops down and attempts to slide across to the left. However, it gets caught on Image #2. There's now no room on Row 2 for Image #5 so that wraps as well. This one can slide all the way across to the left margin.

The solution to this problem is to pad all images out to a suitable size of equal height and width. Most image editing software refer to this as adjusting the canvas size.

Check how wide your forum width is and divide by three (allowing a little for a margin around the images) and then use your image editor to resize the canvas of all images to this width. It's probably best to set the canvas height to this figure too and make sure that the image is centred on the canvas. Then all images will appear in a simple grid.

Some would go further and rather than just increase the canvas size with some bland colour would create a spacial background for the image that fills the canvas, perhaps adding curved corners, and centre the image over that. Another popular design is one that simulates a 35mm slide. (Remember them? )

I'll be travelling from darkest Norfolk to be in Welwyn Garden City in a couple of months for a relation's 40th Birthday party! Promises to be a good night!

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

YrHelperInfonut
Love what you have created for your community. It is exactly what I would like to do for our village (Omemee, Ontario) Would appreciate any pointers or tips you'd be willing to share.

I wonder if there are a number of people who would be interested in working together to promote their respective communities using Nabble tools?
Check out my fun blogs Freebies4Canada, Coupons4Canada, and Contests4Canada!
Win prizes and gift cards as you search! Join Swagbucks!
 Want help setting up a blog or Forum? Simple Sites Set up $25 (appox 1 hr) Computer Tutoring too!

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

mywaytoo
Greg... Thank you for your help. It seems such a shame that I can't just say 'New Row', like MS Insert Page Break. I think I shall create a white 'template' of the correct width so that I can fit 3 pictures on it evenly spaced.

PS. Contact my website nearer your friend's birthday and I'll splash it all over the website... and Twitter... LOL... not that we have many visitors yet!

Anne

Greg... Just thought... that template idea won't be any good because I hope that other members of the community will post their own pictures themselves... I wonder whether using 'floating' for all the pictures would help???
Anne

RE: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

YrHelperInfonut
Sorry I'm not Greg, not sure whom you are trying to reach.

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 05:49:12 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

Greg... Just thought... that template idea won't be any good because I hope that other members of the community will post their own pictures themselves... I wonder whether using 'floating' for all the pictures would help???
Anne

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Anyone-got-a-sample-Gallery-tp6044281p6064521.html
To unsubscribe from Anyone got a sample Gallery?, click here.

That's OK... Greg will know...
Anne

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

mywaytoo wrote
I wonder whether using 'floating' for all the pictures would help???
No. The description I gave assumed that all your images were floated. When floated they will still hook up on each other unless the bottom of the images in the row above are exactly level.

However, a quick experiment suggests this will work:

1. Check the "Message in HTML format" box
2. Insert the code <br clear=all> into your message immediately before the  code of the picture that gets hooked up on the row above.

P.S. YrHelperInfonut seems to have forgotten that the implication of subscribing to a post or thread is that you get all posts relating to it, not just the ones addressed to you personally. Silly Girl! (Or should I stick with gender stereotypes and assume that anyone that forgetful has to be a man!)

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

mywaytoo
Greg... The <br clear=all> worked really well, and it reminded me of the <br> to get a blank line to space things out better... but now there's the same issue (I think) after a comment is added, but with the Nabble text for 1 comment...

Is this a bug?
Anne

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
Is this a bug?
No! Now you are in HTML mode you just need to add a <br clear=all> at the end of the message to ensure that following content appears under any existing content. (Exactly in the same way you had to force the images to drop beneath the earlier images.)

Re: Anyone got a sample Gallery?

mywaytoo
Doh...     I missed out the last set of speech marks (")...
It looks really good now... Thank you.
Anne