Advertising Again

Harvey
Not sure if this is a NAML question, if so feel free to move it.

Our site has gotten to the point where I can't ignore the traffic.  I really have to try to put my own advertising on the site.

How hard would it be to serve my own ads (or adsense) in the spot where the Nabble ads are?

(And then I'd pay Nabble to opt-out).

Re: Advertising Again

Hugo <Nabble>
We are preparing a solution that will make it easier for you to customize your ads. We will let you know when this is ready.

Re: Advertising Again

Harvey
Thanks Hugo. This is not a rush.

Re: Advertising Again

Hello Harvey,

you can edit your NAML like this:

1- Click on the NAML link at the bottom of the forum.
2- In the Options list, choose "Search macros"
3- Search for the macro named "show_custom_ads".
4- Override this macro and replace this part :
<n.comment.>
    Here you can place your own ads and make money with your Nabble application.
    But please remember that you must pay for ad-free credits if you want to remove Nabble's ads.
</n.comment.>
with this one:
<n.if.equal value1="[n.format/]" value2="small-square">
    <then>
        ...put your small-square ad here ...
    </then>
    <else>
        ...put your Leaderboard ad here ...
    </else>
</n.if.equal>

Small-square and Leaderboard , are the ad formats we use. About ad format : https://support.google.com/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185666

Note that this solution will only work for users who have paid for ad-free credits. When the credits are over, The system will starting using our ads again.

What code to I put in that spot to make the adsense appear?  I'm my Google blog  there is a widget for adsense so you never see the code.

Re: Advertising Again

Hugo <Nabble>
You should login to your adsense account, click on "My ads", then on "New ad unit". You can select the Leaderboard (ad size) and other details for your ad unit. At the end, it should give you the code that you should paste in that macro. You should also create one ad unit with the small-square size (to be displayed in the sidebar of gallery/blog/news).

Re: Advertising Again

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
You should login to your adsense account, click on "My ads", then on "New ad unit". You can select the Leaderboard (ad size) and other details for your ad unit. At the end, it should give you the code that you should paste in that macro. You should also create one ad unit with the small-square size (to be displayed in the sidebar of gallery/blog/news).
This is very cool. Thank you for the precise guidance as I realize it's not  your job to teach me how to use adsense.

I'll probably set it up, and then pay the fee to see what I get and how it looks/works.

Would still like to have some kind of CMS to do this, including adding adsense with a widget, and switching from your ads to mine, to no ads. But lets try this first.

Looks like the forum only needs leader boards, but the newspaper and photo(map) gallery needs the box.

Re: Advertising Again

Harvey
I see within adsense that you can customize the style/look of an ad.

Some how you have made it so that nabble/adsense ads match the colors of my CSS. Can you share how you did this?

Re: Advertising Again

Harvey
Guys - I went through this process. Installed the code, and paid to opt out. Ads are not centered and don't have the border separating them. Can you please temporarily suspend the credit - continue to serve nabble ads until we get it straight? Thanks.

Re: Advertising Again

Hugo <Nabble>
I fixed the ads for you. We forgot to wrap the ads with this:
Please take a look and let us know if you still have issues.

Re: Advertising Again

Harvey
On first inspection it looks good.  I appreciate the quick response.

I'll probably do that same thing in the newspaper so let me know if the div has to be added there as well.

Also I may ask to have a small percentage of my removal credit moved to the newspaper.  Is this possible?

(Before you do that I need to do some math to figure out how much).

Re: Advertising Again

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
I'll probably do that same thing in the newspaper so let me know if the div has to be added there as well.
I already did that, so that ad unit should work fine as well. Please let us know if you see issues.
Harvey44 wrote
Also I may ask to have a small percentage of my removal credit moved to the newspaper.  Is this possible?
Yes, just let us know how many you want to move.

Re: Advertising Again

Harvey
Hugo,

If you could move 50,000 of my credits to the magazine that would be good.

Let me know when this is done so I can take a look.  Actually since you are replacing adsense with adsense it's hard to tell when it has been done. I knew it with the forum only because the div wasn't in place.  :)

It's odd because in my adsense account the page views per day didn't actually rise.  (?)

The custom_ads macro is now in the newspaper (it's identical to the other one - so I hope that is correct).

Re: Advertising Again

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
If you could move 50,000 of my credits to the magazine that would be good.
Yes, I did that.
Harvey44 wrote
It's odd because in my adsense account the page views per day didn't actually rise.  (?)
Is this still happening?

Re: Advertising Again

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
If you could move 50,000 of my credits to the magazine that would be good.
Yes, I did that.
Harvey44 wrote
It's odd because in my adsense account the page views per day didn't actually rise.  (?)
Is this still happening?

Thanks Hugo.

I think everything is working correctly. Because I have an ad on my "outer page" I think ad impressions are rising but not page views.  Kind of odd that adsense only shows page views.

Should be interesting to see if I can make a few bucks.  The big hindrance has been a horrendous warm start to winter. The skiers in America are CRYING.

Not me though.  Yet.

Re: Advertising Again

I was curious to know about the "spread" between the cost of buying out of ads (ie "remove ads") and the amount you could make by putting your own adsense in place of it.

So I bought 1,000,000 impressions to get the cheapest price per impression and it does seem to be paying. This is highly dependent on your CTR (click through rate) which for our forum is probably highest now as it is ski season.

Leads me to believe that in the off season I will go back to Nabble ads.

Anyway an interesting experiment. Just thought I would share.

Re: Advertising Again

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks for sharing this, Harvey. It is great to know that you can make money with your Nabble forum.

Re: Advertising Again

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Thanks for sharing this, Harvey. It is great to know that you can make money with your Nabble forum.
I'm not getting rich by any means but I bet many Nabble users could generate enough money to pay for premium support.  It's something to think about.
HTTPS Please!