Ads carrying trojans and viruses

weezy
Hey, y'all need to vet the ads better.  I've had and at least two of my participants have had their computers infected by viruses and/or trojans brought onto the forum by ads.   One had to pay $90 to her computer guy to clean it out of her system.  I lost an hour of productive work time from doing sweeps and quarantines.  Until you can verify that the ad is clean, it shouldn't run.

Re: Ads carrying trojans and viruses

Peter <Nabble>
Weezy, thank you for your warning. We are unaware of any trojan or virus being carried through the ads. Maybe they could point to some infected site (maybe as in "we cant make any guarantees about other sites' safety", not as in "we know there is a risk"). But anyway I'm sure the ads themselves pose no threat if you don't click on them.
How can you be sure the viruses or trojans came from the ads?

I want you to know that we are changing the ads network for someone more strict and safe.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Ads carrying trojans and viruses

Nabble are going to need clear, checkable, information about the offending ads, or the URLs that the adverts direct you to, before they can be expected to make a report to the advertising provider or take action against them.

As it stands, your general assertion, without any specifics, just sounds like unjustifiable scaremongering.

EDIT:  Oops! Looks like Peter responded while I was writing.

Re: Ads carrying trojans and viruses

weezy
GregChapman wrote
Nabble are going to need clear, checkable, information about the offending ads, or the URLs that the adverts direct you to, before they can be expected to make a report to the advertising provider or take action against them.

As it stands, your general assertion, without any specifics, just sounds like unjustifiable scaremongering.

EDIT:  Oops! Looks like Peter responded while I was writing.
I just ran a full scan and removed a hidden driver in my rootkit after coming to my forums on Nabble and not going anywhere else on the web.  I came to Nabble Support to see if there was any response to my posting here and had my system start to act up -- without going anywhere else on the web.  I ran a rootkit scan and came up with the same malware  that came up in the previous scan I ran this evening noted as such:

\Device\mfeavf01.sys

Now, when I go to only one web locationand I've got a clean system when I start and I pick up malware while I'm there, I think it's reasonable to assume that I picked it up at that web location.  And now I'm going to sign off and scan my system again.

for me and several of my forum members who don't happen to go to the same websites except Nabble, then it's either Nabble itself or the ads that showed up and we all got infected almost simultaneously and only after the ads show up and we've been posting for months and months, well that's a pretty damning coincidence.

You don't happen to have any information about which ad you think did it, do you?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Ads carrying trojans and viruses

weezy
not yet, but will keep an eye out for it.

btw, the free download at malwarebytes has been the best tool I've found for cleaning/blocking.  avg cleans but does not block it.

We've had another couple of instances of trojans on our board but they tend to hang up the browser before I can see the bottom of the screen to know which ad it is.  Another member who has battled this says that AdBrite is the infected part.  I did see, on a blocker pop-up, that the IP address starts 208.  Hope this info is helpful to you.

Re: Ads carrying trojans and viruses

Peter <Nabble>
Only one IP segment means almost nothing. The first one barely limits the country or continent, usually.
Which antivirus or firewall do you use?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Ads carrying trojans and viruses

weezy
I've got AVG and malwarebytes, and the malwarebytes is doing a better job catching this.

Re: Ads carrying trojans and viruses

MagisterPaige
That's why, except for the AVAST and Windows Defender, I use this defender http://myspybot.com/crbr-encryptor/

Re: Ads carrying trojans and viruses

geofredo soleado
I have reported the previous post,can't understand why anyone would reply to a 6 year old thread and include a link.