Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Admin ProSchulreformHH
Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

If a member opens a new topic, but the subject is already discussed in an other thread, why aren't  Administrators allowed to "clean up" and move the message to an existing topic? I know this works in other forum applications.

Re: Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Hugo <Nabble>
Yes, we have this feature. To move a post (or topic), open it and click on "More > Move post to...". You will have to paste the permalink of the new parent post. To get such permalink, open the future parent post and click on "More > Permalink".

Re: Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Admin ProSchulreformHH
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Yes, we have this feature. To move a post (or topic), open it and click on "More > Move post to...". You will have to paste the permalink of the new parent post. To get such permalink, open the future parent post and click on "More > Permalink".
Thanks.
Yepp, usually it works like you described , if I created the sub-forum. But in this case a member without Admi-rights made it, and I want to move the topic into it. If I try that, this is what I get:
You cannot move this post because you don't own it and you don't own the target parent.
Thats right, but as a Admi I could delete it if I want, why can't I move it?

Re: Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Hugo <Nabble>
Nabble has a different approach to forum administration and this causes the confusion. In this case, you should ask the owner of that sub-forum to add you as an administrator or ask him/her to move the topic for you (I think the first idea is better).
Admin ProSchulreformHH wrote
Thats right, but as a Admi I could delete it if I want, why can't I move it?
No, you can't delete. You can "remove" them from your forum, but not physically delete them. When you remove a post, topic or sub-forum, they continue to exist under their owner's profile. Only the owner can physically delete the object.

Re: Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Admin ProSchulreformHH
Oh, that is difficult, to let members without administration rights make a sub-forum, which the forum owner is not allowed to move in his own forum.
Maybe you should follow the idea to always let the administrator of a forum be automatically predefined as administrator of the sub forum. The sub forum owner still has the possibility to delete the forum owner in the administrator list.

How about that?

Re: Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Hugo <Nabble>
This sounds reasonable. I will discuss this with the team and let you know. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Planet Jackson
I think the forum creator should always be an administrator in any subforums created on their parent forum.  (I hope I used parent correctly.)  Sub-forum creators should NOT have the right to delete the forum owner as an administrator under any circumstances.
Site Administrator Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Admin ProSchulreformHH
> I think the forum creator should always be an administrator in any
> subforums created on their parent forum. (I hope I used parent
> correctly.) Sub-forum creators should NOT have the right to delete the
> forum owner as an administrator under any circumstances. Site
> Administrator

I agree totally on that, but didn't dare to request. I think it is more the (node-)problem that the sub
forum creators can move thier own sub-forums into other parents (with all the members and
Admin rights), or even create a new forum and all of a sudden the old forum owner still has rights
over this one, even though it is somewhere else. Maybe the Nabble guys can work out a solution.

Perhaps they could be allowed to move a clone of the sub forum to another parent with the original forum owner retaining the right to either maintain the original sub forum or to delete it.  Once the subforum creator moves the clone to a new parent, the clone can continue with a life of its own, perhaps with or without the original forum owner as an administrator.  I do think it's a bit dicey for someone to come in, create a subforum, then migrate somewhere else with a member base you spent your time building.  I don't like that.

Hugo <Nabble>
We have fixed the issue discussed in the beginning of this thread so that forum owners can move topics to sub-forums that they don't own (this fix will be available after the next release). The other problems discussed here are about sub-forums created by other suspicious users that could possibly move it later to another parent. Basically, Nabble lets users create sub-forums by default because we think this works like a suggestion to the community. If you don't trust the user, you can either create a similar sub-forum (and thus remove the original one) or simply disable the "Who can create sub-forums?" option.

Re: Admin rights? Why aren't Admi's allowed to move topics from simple members?

Admin ProSchulreformHH
Great work, thanks guys!