Admin Features

1337nerer
These are just some features that I would like to be added for Admins.
1. Being Able to Change the name of a thread
2. Being able to edit other users posts
3. Not having this come up when in my own forum:
    Sorry, but <user> has banned you from posting messages under his/her forums and posts.

Sorry if that's being a bit demanding but just a suggestion.....

Re: Admin Features

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
In general, Nabble is a little different from other forums in that it cares about user's rights. Forum owner needs power, but not absolute power.

1337nerer wrote
1. Being Able to Change the name of a thread
On Nabble, only the author of a post can edit the content of a post. This is a basic author's right that most forums don't care. They just give absolute power to the forum owner.

That being said, Nabble does give you the power to achieve your goal, just without editing the post. If you think a thread's title is misleading, you can: 1. remove the thread from your forum 2. start a new thread, with the title that you think it's appropriate, then move the wrongly titled thread to be a post under your thread.

1337nerer wrote
2. Being able to edit other users posts
Sorry, no.

1337nerer wrote
3. Not having this come up when in my own forum:
    Sorry, but <user> has banned you from posting messages under his/her forums and posts.
If a user bans you from posting under his post, he must be stupid. You can simply ban him. What's more, you can use Options->Users->Remove user to remove all his posts and ban him. You have enough power to deal with such users.

The user-ban-user feature is designed to help forums moderate by itself. For example, in an intense debate, bad users tend call names and flame people.  Most of the time, the author of the thread is closer to such flame wars than the forum owner. He can simply ban the bad user instead of waiting for the forum owner to react.

Re: Admin Features

1337nerer
sure, makes sense.....

Re: Admin Features

stlsoapchick
Will <Nabble> wrote
He can simply ban the bad user instead of waiting for the forum owner to react.
I'm having a problem with this one right now on my board.  Most of the posters on my board are coming from another board that "died".  There were two posters who didn't get along.  Well, that's not exactly true, one didn't like the other for whatever reason, the other wants to be friends with everyone and keeps pestering the first one to talk to her.  So the first poster put the second user on "ban" so that she doesn't get any more correspondence from her.

Now I am getting emails from the banned person saying that due to the "ban" she can't reply in some threads, and can't even see some other threads.

Can someone explain to me how Nabble's version of banning works?  How is it that ONE person (a NON-admin/owner) can totally screw up another person's replying and viewing abilities?  I can see making it so that the banned person can't reply directly to the person who initiated the ban... but why make it so that she can't reply to others?  Or why she can't even READ other threads?

Keep in mind that most of the rest of the users on my board don't have an issue with said banned poster, so it really doesn't make sense for me for her to be banned from the board completely since it's a personal argument between these two posters and really has nothing to do with what was said on the Nabble board.

Please advise.

Re: Admin Features

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
The ban feature is experimental - nobody has done this kind of thing before, so we are listening carefully to real complaints. Yours is the first one.

stlsoapchick wrote
Now I am getting emails from the banned person saying that due to the "ban" she can't reply in some threads, and can't even see some other threads.
If A bans B, then B cannot reply to any nodes under A. For example, if A starts a thread, then B  cannot reply to it or reply to any posts under A's thread.

But if C starts a thread, A replies to it, B can still participate in the thread, for example,

B can't reply to A, K, P, but he can reply to D, E, F, G ...

You can go to a thread and change the view to "Threaded" view and see the tree structure of a thread.

If A and B don't get along, they can ban each other and they should try to avoid each other.

If they always fight, it's ruining the discussion experience for everyone.

I think this is actually what people do in real life, no?

And of course, you are the boss ultimately. You can ask A to remove the ban, and try to get along with B. He most likely will listen to you. If he is totally unreasonable, then you can ban him and remove him.

Re: Admin Features

stlsoapchick
Will <Nabble> wrote
If A and B don't get along, they can ban each other and they should try to avoid each other.

If they always fight, it's ruining the discussion experience for everyone.

I think this is actually what people do in real life, no?
It's not really a case of A and B don't get along.  User A has a strong personality.  User B has a very non-confrontational personality and just wants everybody happy and friendly.

Something user B said on another board (the board that "died, as I mentioned in the previous post) set user A off and user A essentially "told her off" and then put her on IGNORE.  There was no big ugly fight that caused a board disruption.  (That board had an "ignore" feature whereby you just didn't see the person's post. You saw that they made a post and you had the option to view the post or just pass it by unread.  However, if someone did quote the ignored user, it still showed up in the quote.)

Now that they are both posting on my Nabble board, user A has used the ban function on user B.  User B is the one that is complaining to me that she cannot reply to and/or read some threads and instead says she gets an error message saying she has been banned by user A.

Honestly, both A and B are pretty well liked by the other users of my board.  Neither of them have broken any rules or caused a fight or disruption...so I (as the admin) really have no legitimate reason to ban either one of them from the board completely.

Will <Nabble> wrote
If A and B don't get along, they can ban each other and they should try to avoid each other.
The problem is that BOTH are very active on my board.  If they ban each other and neither can reply to people that replied to the other... both would be cut off from posting pretty much ANYWHERE on the board!

Perhaps Nabble needs some kind of "Ignore" feature whereby one person can globally "Ignore" a certain poster if they don't want to read postings by that person.  I know I've used a similar function on other boards.

Re: Admin Features

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for sharing the experience. I agree that the ban feature doesn't help. An "Ignore" feature is more appropriate. We'll look into that. Meanwhile, can you email A and tell him what happened and see if he honor your request?