A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
He bans people based on disagreements rather than, what is fair.  How do I go about in filing a claim against -As The World Turns - Fan Message Board - created byCreated by   a_priori

My resolution is that he makes a Public an pulic apology to me in a separate thread, Close him down, and of course I am open to your suggestions.

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Here is where it all starts:

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 15, 2008; 12:42pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

I was surprised to see Noah so high on the list this morning, especially since most of yesterday he didn't have any votes at all. So, I looked at the site logs/stats and it seems that a group of Carly fans from a different site (which shall remain unnamed) all came at the same time from that site and all voted for Noah as a block and skewed the poll significantly. I had noticed some block voting like this in past polls as well, so I may have to start restricting poll voting to members of this site only to prevent the polls from being skewed by members of other sites in this manner.

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 15, 2008; 09:36pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

The current polling system that I'm using will not allow this kind of restriction and as of right now, Nabble doesn't have it's own polls. It's possible that I could move the polls into a private forum that only allows approved users to view and participate in the polls, but I think that would bring about some other issues. Of course, I may be moving the message board from googlepages fairly soon, so it's also possible that I may find a solution wherever I ultimately move the board. For right now the polls will remain as they are and I'll be looking into finding another solution. I'll be sure to make an announcement if anything changes regarding the polls.

netcat
 23 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 03:45pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

netcat
 23 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 03:45pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

Okay I did it! Dang I'm not used to all of this new fangled technology! LOL

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Continued:

Janet
 284 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 08:04pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

I voted for Noah, only voted once, lmao, I am a member of the board. But I've said for along time, I want to see someone with Luke that appreciates him alot more than Noah does. Luke has put up with far more from Noah, then Noah ever deserved. ATWT needs to introduce a bigger choice for Luke, the way they have written it, if Luke wants to have any relationship at all, what choice does he have? Give him someone so he can at least have a choice, and see if there is someone who will treat him better, and stop putting him on the back burner to go chase ghost, long lost daddies, or off in Rome, doing whatever it is he's doing, which no matter what, I'm sure is so much more important than being with Luke.

AND, I will admit I am a Carly fan, so it just stands to reason, that I would vote for anyone BUT Carly. lmao, just as the Nukers would vote for anyone BUT Luke or Noah, lol, kinda stands to reason for me.

Foulplay
 311 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 08:15pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

Janet wrote:
netcat wrote:
Okay I did it! Dang I'm not used to all of this new fangled technology! LOL
I voted for Noah, only voted once, lmao, I am a member of the board. But I've said for along time, I want to see someone with Luke that appreciates him alot more than Noah does. Luke has put up with far more from Noah, then Noah ever deserved. ATWT needs to introduce a bigger choice for Luke, the way they have written it, if Luke wants to have any relationship at all, what choice does he have? Give him someone so he can at least have a choice, and see if there is someone who will treat him better, and stop putting him on the back burner to go chase ghost, long lost daddies, or off in Rome, doing whatever it is he's doing, which no matter what, I'm sure is so much more important than being with Luke.
Ok Janet
Why the hell do you feel like you need to explain your vote choice is very puzzling to me.  If you look at the polls.  you can tell that it is obvious that someone is way over voting their share for Paul.  Yet, no one even mentioned that fact.  If any one is cheating, It's the Nukers, who don't like Paul, and not the Carly fans, that don't like Noah.

I do agree with you about Noah though.  I'm not sure that he should leave, but I do believe that Luke should be given some choices,  Noah puts everyone else first, except Luke.

tenchiwings
 65 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 08:22pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

i also voted for noah and was watching the poll. i find it funny how no one is mentioning how dani had NO votes yesterday morning and parker had so little and now they have a significant number of votes. the number of votes for paul has nearly doubled from saturday. yet the only person seem to care about is noah getting votes? and (speaking inside parenthesis makes accusations a secret). if you were to really care about "outside/multiple votes" i would start with paul and dani, as their numbers jumped the fastest. i mean, do you not care about THOSE voting blocks or are the carly voters just the only ones that should not vote as a unit if that is what you think happened? also, i would like to add that i voted sunday and the percentage of noah votes has gone up from the time i voted. as in, there were more votes for him monday than there were all day sunday. but that just makes sense, as perhaps people do not go on soap boards on the weekend when there is not a new show being shown. dani had NO votes this weekend and look at her now. it makes sense that 1) as the poll gets older, more people will be online to vote and B) there are people "cheating" but i wager that is more on the paul/parker/dani side.

oh, and i voted for noah because i think his current storyline is crud. that and luke needs to get laid.

Janet
 284 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 08:26pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

(This post was updated on Sep 16, 2008; 08:43pm)
Foulplay wrote:
Janet wrote:
netcat wrote:
[...]

Because I have nothing to hide? lmao, I have never hid the fact that I didn't like the way Noah treated Luke. I voted Sunday, so whatever this block thing AP is talking about happening yesterday is confusing to me. I understand outsiders coming to vote. And then Jay is saying he voted twice, though I don't know how he did that, because once I entered Noah's name, it like closed it to me, and showed me percentages. I'm a out and proud Carly fan, and of course everyone knows that also.

I think Noah and Luke both need to have other men in their life. They are limited to just them two. That's grossly unfair, and maybe Luke wouldn't love Noah, or stand by all the BS Noah has put him through, if he had someone else to turn to.

Foulplay
 311 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 08:39pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

Janet wrote:
Foulplay wrote:
Janet wrote:
netcat wrote:
[...]

I knew that you had nothing to hide.  Anyone that knows you would know that.  I was looking the the results of Paul's more or less, and how that was never mentioned, but Noah was mentioned, even though his percentages was no where near as high as Paul's.  Yet Carly fans got called out for the way they voted, and in my mind immediately I started thinking, because you know that's what I do.  The Nuke Fans are voting more than once.  It isn't the Carly fans at all.  It's to try and place blame on the Carly fans, so that the Nuke fans can keep on voting for Paul over and over again.
BTW, just for you Janet.  I voted for Noah too, but only once.  I'm not sure if it was Sunday or Early morning Monday.  I just know that I voted.

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Continued:

Janet
 285 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 08:49pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post from thread
Move post to...
Print post

Foulplay wrote:
Janet wrote:
Foulplay wrote:
Janet wrote:
netcat wrote:
[...]

...[show rest of quote]
ROFLMAO!! Isn't this something? Participating in a harmless poll. AP did say they came from another site. So I'm sure he is not pointing the finger at any of the Carly fans that actually post here as members. I just like to be up front about what I do. But thank you for telling me who you voted for, and I can see we have the same thought pattern on why. I know that some will say that Noah has changed, but I think the aggravation is still with me.

Foulplay wrote:
Janet wrote:
Foulplay wrote:
Janet wrote:
netcat wrote:
[...]

 311 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 08:51pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

tenchiwings wrote:
oh, and i voted for noah because i think his current storyline is crud. that and luke needs to get laid.
 He will never have that chance with Noah around, now will he?

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 09:57pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post from thread
Move post to...
Print post

tenchiwings wrote:
[...]

Sorry, There is no indication of voting blocks from other websites with Dani or Paul or any of the other characters. Your accusation that I only care about Noah is unfounded. What I do care about is preventing groups from other sites organizing to skew the polls on this forum.

Since you are implying I had no reason to suspect that someone was skewing the poll and that I just decided to check the logs/stats because I'm a NUKE fan, let me give you some perspective on how this was discovered, I started the poll during the day on Sunday and Sunday evening when I posted a few things on the forum and I aways keep watch on the polls to prevent tampering and in this particular case, since the poll is open, I was watching to make sure nothing inappropriate was typed in by anyone trying to be funny or hateful. So, I know for certain that Noah did not have any votes at that time. Paul already had votes since Sunday during the day, as did both Parker and Dani. Then, when I checked the forum on Monday morning, I noticed that Noah was suddenly at the top of the list, which prompted me to check the site stats and they confirmed that a voting block from another website had placed votes for Noah all at the same time. The block votes are not Noah's only votes, but do comprise the majority of his votes, so this did a significantly skew the poll. As for other characters being skewed, I saw no evidence of that. There was no evidence of other voting blocks from other websites. I can't tell you if NUKE fans, or Katie fans, or Jack fans, or Margo fans on this forum all voted for Paul or Dani or anyone else, but I can tell you that they didn't come from another website at the same time and vote as a block against a single character.

Foulplay wrote:
Janet
I knew that you had nothing to hide.  Anyone that knows you would know that.  I was looking the the results of Paul's more or less, and how that was never mentioned, but Noah was mentioned, even though his percentages was no where near as high as Paul's.  Yet Carly fans got called out for the way they voted, and in my mind immediately I started thinking, because you know that's what I do.  The Nuke Fans are voting more than once.  It isn't the Carly fans at all.  It's to try and place blame on the Carly fans, so that the Nuke fans can keep on voting for Paul over and over again.
BTW, just for you Janet.  I voted for Noah too, but only once.  I'm not sure if it was Sunday or Early morning Monday.  I just know that I voted.
Foulplay,

As I stated before, none of Paul's or any other characters votes except Noah's appeared to come from voting blocks organized on other sites. At least a couple of hundred different people visit this forum everyday and most are lurkers but they do participate in the polls. Your claim that members of this site (NUKE fans in particular) are deliberately voting multiple times against Paul just because of the number of votes he has is unfounded. Also, as Janet said when I referred to the voting block, I specifically said Carly fans FROM ANOTHER SITE, I was not not referring to Carly fans on this site. I have made a big effort to ensure that this site is welcoming for ALL ATWT fans and I don't appreciate anyone trying to make it sound otherwise. If you want to know how I discovered the voting block, read my response to tenchiwings.

Foulplay
 311 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 12:53am Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

a_priori wrote:
Foulplay wrote:
[...]

  And I don't appreciate you lumping groups of people into a whole.  What you have MY dear is Only your word.  So to come out and to single out a group is just uncalled for.  I have been watching Paul's numbers too, and it seems to me that the percentages do not match the amount of member that you have.  Therefore, People are voting for Paul more than once.

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 08:17am Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post from thread
Move post to...
Print post

Foulplay wrote:
And I don't appreciate you lumping groups of people into a whole.  What you have MY dear is Only your word.  So to come out and to single out a group is just uncalled for.  I have been watching Paul's numbers too, and it seems to me that the percentages do not match the amount of member that you have.  Therefore, People are voting for Paul more than once.

I tried to explain the situation to you and you come back implying that I'm a liar. Well... Now you have my word that you are going on a much needed vacation. Please enjoy these facts on the way out the door.

"a group of Carly fans from a different site" is a subset, not a whole.

So, you think this forum doesn't have enough visitors to account for 20 votes for Paul?

 I took a poll last month to gauge the percentage of posters vs. lurkers and discovered that over 70% of the visitors are lurkers and that they do participate in polls.

Are you a Lurker or a Poster on this board?

    * Poster
      27%

    * Lurker
      72%

Created on Aug 18, 2008
Ended August 24, 2008
Total Votes: 143
http://www.twiigs.com/poll/Entertainment/Television/16023
My Words
Now, exactly what does A_priori think that these charts prove?  Do he know who is on the other end of the computer?  No, He does't.  I can't help it because he was so sensitive, that he thought that I was calling him a liar.  I was challenging the *VOTES*  Not him personally.  I had always been nice to him, even when people talked crap behind his back.  Even the kiss-up people like luvluke and luvcoop are pathetic, trying to agree with every word that he has to say.  They are as phony as they come.  No one can ever acuse me of being phony to anyone.

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Continued:

tenchiwings
 65 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 06:06pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

but the thing is, many of the votes were placed on sunday. there were less than 50 votes on sunday. i actually think i was vote 39 if memory serves me right. that means it took less votes to gain a higher percentage. i was trying to wait until i had everyone's permission to post WHO voted to make my point, but then i decided OH well with it.

janet, gina, and myself already said we voted for noah. here are the other people I KNOW voted for noah: viciousgirl, peter, dr. strange, AnastaciaB, justafan1. i actually think their might be one more to the list, but since i was not sure, i did not add it. that is 8 votes right there. i was the first person to vote for noah. so, since most people in this "voting block" all voted on sunday, that explains for the sudden JUMP in percentages. 8 votes was a lot on sunday when the number of votes was less than 50, thus explaining the huge CLIMB noah had. according to the current numbers, there are 12.06 votes for noah (if these results have been left unchanged and no votes have been deleted). so, as we can see, unless aprior is talking about some other group of 4 people with votes, there were ACTUAL members of this board who voted for noah.

gina got upset because aprior was saying it was a different group of people trying to skew the results. we KNOW how it went down and yet he was trying to say other people were skewing the results when we were trying to make our vote count. i feel upset that we have to call people out how they vote to prove our point,  but so be it. i feel as if all 8 of us had voted for a different person as a group, this issue would not be a big deal.

My words,
After i couldn't voice my opinion any longer.  Tenchiwings made Valid reasoning.

tenchiwings
 65 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 07:30pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

i really do not see how i skewed the votes. i said i was going to vote a certain way and other people did as well. if we all decided that we hated paul TOO and he was leading the pact, would that have meant we were trying to piss people off as well? i do not know how we are responsible for this. if i am asked who i voted for and people decide to vote the same way, is that really my fault or theirs?  i mean, did people set out to make me mad when they voted for carly or parker or whoever they voted for? i would hope not, i would hope they have better things to do with their time than calculate ways to piss me off. it is not skewing the votes if that is how people WANTED to vote. skewing the vote is if i voted 15 times in one hour. it is not skewing if like minded people all voted the same way.

with that said, will gina be unbanned? she was only stating the truth on that matter.

My words,
Another Valid post by Tenchiwings.

justafan434
 29 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 09:23pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

I would like to add my thoughts on this highly sensitive subject of who to remove from the show. I would like to start out by saying that I have enjoyed the polls that have been added to this site. I am mostly a lurker here, on this board. I have always been a Luke fan, and not much of a Noah fan. I thought their romance at first was wonderful and very sweet. However, I always did find Noah to be a tad annoying and I thought that Luke could do much better than Noah. But, I also think that JS is not a very good actor. LOL, I know, I will get some responses to this. It is just my opinion, and when I saw the poll on whom to vote off the show I thought of Noah first. I like the character of Paul, I always have and I probably always will, I hate how he is written now, just like I am sure that Noah could be written much better than he currently is. Noah was my first choice and I went with it and voted for him. Did I have ulterior motives? NO, I did not. Did I do it to piss people off? NO, I did not. I never assumed that someone would vote more than once for Paul or gang up to vote for him, so I find it baffling to think that some on here thinks that’s what happened to Noah. I am not privy to how this site works so I don’t know how the polls are understood, and AP, I don’t really understand this whole “block” thing. And JAY, I don’t understand this statement of yours:
My question is why?   What did you think might happen by voting in a block for the same person??  It seems to me you wanted to upset some people by voting that way.  It really doesn't make a difference where the block of votes came from; the intent was to skew the votes up to that point and that is exactly what happened.  What was accomplished is beyond me.  I don't really care, because the poll is not scientific anyway and is meaningless.  It only reflects the opinion of those who took the time to vote.  Not everybody on this board voted.

I really don’t understand what you don’t get. How do you know it was a block of people? I voted on my own volition, without any influence by others. I did not “skew” it up, I just voted what I wanted to. You do not know that is “exactly” what happened, nobody does, because some people, like me, only voted once and for the person we wanted to vote for. No intent here, and I am insulted you think so.  It seems to me that there are a lot of posters here who are very sensitive to how Noah is treated or thought of by other fans, just like there are a lot of us Carly fans who get upset by non-Carly fans. I still say it is all good, a good debate is very healthy and everyone can see different sides and new perspectives.

I find some of the debates on this site very interesting, the ones between Peter and B_A are very interesting to read and follow. I have enjoyed lurking and reading and posting occasionally to keep in contact with people. I also find it interesting that Foulplay was banned from here. I find it incredulous really. She is one of the most popular posters on any of the boards, just look how many people follow her conversation with Carlyfan2,  a total of 2397 hits on that thread. I am sorry to say AP, that I find your actions towards Foulplay to be a bit harsh. Saying this:
I tried to explain the situation to you and you come back implying that I'm a liar. Well... Now you have my word that you are going on a much needed vacation. Please enjoy these facts on the way out the door.

was pretty harsh, you have every right to defend yourself and your site from disrespectful posters, but I just didn’t think that what she said was that bad, and the way you did it in front of everyone was very classless. Couldn’t you have sent an email? We are not babies to be treated like we have stepped into a totalitarian world created by you. I now feel like I cannot voice my opinion or question yours. Am I being dramatic, yes, maybe a bit, lol. I feel it is warranted to feel this cautious when posting here because it is a very sterile environment and these kinds of debates do bring in a lot of traffic to the site. So I think it just hurts in the long run to ban so easily when a nice email warning or reminder could be done to do the job just as effectively.
And if anyone is wondering, I do think there are a lot of Carjack fans on this site who just lurk. That is evidenced by the number of hits on my Carjack fanfic compared to the overall Nuke fanfic. This is fact, obviously my story brought in a lot of traffic to this site. AP, you have done a wonderful job on this site, I do mean that sincerely, but I cannot support a site that is so easy to caution people or to ban them. If I have insulted you or anyone here I am sorry for that, but I cannot be less than honest about how I feel on posting here. Heated discussions are the spice of life, or should I say what keeps some of us returning to read and comment. I mean no disrespect and I hope that you can understand what I am trying to say. I think that restricting the polls to members only is a bad mistake. It gives a rather “skewed” view of this site and I don’t think you want to get that kind of reputation.

 My words,
Justafan434 made valid points, even including that I was very popular and drawing in a lot of hits to his board.  Still it went ignored.

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 09:50pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

tenchiwings wrote:
i really do not see how i skewed the votes.
This was a poll with roughly 40 choices. If you are part of a group of people who come from another site at the same time and just happen to select the same choice out those 40 possible other choices. Then, yes, regardles of your stated reasoning, you contributed to skewing the poll. Especially, when the chosen selection had a MUCH lower percentage of votes in a larger sample of people (everyone else who visits this site and voted on Sunday and wasn't part of this voting block, and everyone who voted after Sunday). It would be the same as 30 people from another forum coming tonight and all voting for Henry at the same time. They could all give their reasoning for voting and claim it was a coincidence that they voted the same or claim that it was some kind of statistical anomaly, but the intent and the affect on the poll would still be clear.

tenchiwings wrote:
with that said, will gina be unbanned? she was only stating the truth on that matter.
That's not open to forum discussion. Foulplay can contact me in private if she wants to discuss the status of her membership on this forum.

My words,
Still A-prior is showing ignorance of how he can be wrong.  He chose to ban me out on the forum and now he wants me to come to him in privately.  Does, that seem right to anyone.  You finish what you started. You can't turn back, once you open that can of worms.

Now, I want a Public apology, that stays on the front page for all to see.

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Continued:

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 10:38pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

justafan434 and tenchiwings

I've stated the facts on this several times on this thread and I'm not going to continue to repeat myself.

Anyone that doesn't like the way this forum is run, is free to leave.

The polls have been closed for now and everyone needs to cool off.

Any further comments in this thread that are not about which character you would like removed from the show will be deleted.

My words, He starts screaming and acting like a child, when he re-posted back to Tenchiwings and justafan434.  Then he ran and closed the polls as if he had something to hide.  Do you see the threats above?  I didn't even get so much as a warning or an email.

Now, I'm going to take you to where he moves threads, when they become his Pet Peeve, Of course he only selectively remove the threads that he wants to. :

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 08:34pm Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

This thread has crossed my pet peeve threshold in regard to date sensitive topics and has also fallen out of the scope of ATWT episode discussion. I'm retitling the thread and moving it to the off-topic forum. Please keep the debate respectful.

My words,
No one was fighting or arguing in the thread, but Power Tripping A_priori felt the need to tell people to keep the debate, respectful.

Janet
 288 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 09:28pm Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

a_priori wrote:
This thread has crossed my pet peeve threshold in regard to date sensitive topics and has also fallen out of the scope of ATWT episode discussion. I'm retitling the thread and moving it to the off-topic forum. Please keep the debate respectful.
Ok, first, I really mean no disrespect here, I just have a question, not about all of your post because the respect thing I totally understand. But the date sensitive topic remark? Are you saying there is a time line that we can discuss a certain topic?  I understand the wedding is over, And I think that I have been more than respectful in my debating with BA. I just think if there is a time line, we should know what that is. And I’m only asking because you said it was a pet peeve of yours.

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 16, 2008; 10:52pm Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

Janet wrote:
Ok, first, I really mean no disrespect here, I just have a question, not about all of your post because the respect thing I totally understand. But the date sensitive topic remark? Are you saying there is a time line that we can discuss a certain topic?  I understand the wedding is over, And I think that I have been more than respectful in my debating with BA. I just think if there is a time line, we should know what that is. And I’m only asking because you said it was a pet peeve of yours.
I'm sorry for not explaining myself Janet. I'm not saying that there is a time line for discussing a certain topics. But, I do have a thing about seeing older threads with the date in the title on he front page, it's just one of my pet peeves, because it can get confusing for forum users  This particular thread really isn't that old, but I just recently did this with a couple of other similar dated threads that had been ongoing or gone off-topic so i'm doing the same here. I do understand that some threads inadvertently get off-topic and/or generate a lot of discussion and that's not a problem, but I will rename dated (in their title) threads and move them to off-topic if it looks like those threads have gone off-topic and will be around for a while to help avoid confusion on the front page. Hope that explains it.

Peter_Tchai
 25 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 02:53am Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

a_priori wrote:
This thread has crossed my pet peeve threshold in regard to date sensitive topics and has also fallen out of the scope of ATWT episode discussion. I'm retitling the thread and moving it to the off-topic forum. Please keep the debate respectful.
I can understand moving this thread to the off-topic forum, although I'm sure there are other threads that have gone off-topic that have not been moved there.  I also think I need your definition of "respectful" or, rather, how you would define disrespectful, just to be clear.

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 17, 2008; 06:34am Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

Peter_Tchai wrote:
I can understand moving this thread to the off-topic forum, although I'm sure there are other threads that have gone off-topic that have not been moved there.  I also think I need your definition of "respectful" or, rather, how you would define disrespectful, just to be clear.
Peter, I have done this for the reasons stated a couple of comments above to Janet. BTW, this is not the first thread that has been renamed and moved. So, those participating on this thread shouldn't feel singled out. If the new name is a problem for anyone, let me know and I will change it.

"Keep the debate respectful" is just a reminder to everyone. Everyone here is an adult and should be able to gauge for themselves what an acceptable tone of discourse is with each other. The members of this forum have been doing a great job, in this regard, since the board opened in August and I'm quite thankful for that.

Peter_Tchai wrote:
[...]

 25 posts  Sep 19, 2008; 04:14pm Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author

a_priori wrote:
Peter_Tchai wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response, however I still find myself left with some questions.

First, in your post of Sep. 16, you initially declare that “This thread has crossed my pet peeve threshold in regard to date sensitive topics.”  However, there are several “Episode Discussion” threads from August, still in the “General Discussions” forum so, apparently “datedeness” is not the primary criterion for moving a thread.   Perhaps there are others that you have moved for this reason but, obviously not all of them.
You also comment that the thread “has also fallen out of the scope of ATWT episode discussion.”   Here I must point out that one thread in particular (August 13) went quite quickly from direct discussions of the episode to an off-topic discussion, exclusively between Luvluke and LukeyInLove, of chest hair trimming and eye brow plucking, which then progressed to their individual dating practices and comments about shows other than ATWT.   You do step in and comment to them about the off-topic nature of the discussion, but the thread was neither moved nor re-titled.  Consistency would suggest that the “best man” thread should have received the same “warning” followed by allowing the discussion to end or return on topic, or the Aug. 13 thread should have been automatically re-titled and moved.  The two threads, though fitting under the same criteria (datedness and off-topic discussion) were not treated the same.

This brings us to the re-titling of the thread.  First, to re-title this thread as “Of best men and ice cream” trivializes what, to the greatest extent, was a relatively serious debate regarding the qualifications for being a best man, all directly related back to Holden being asked to be Aaron’s best man.  If the Aug. 13 thread had been moved and re-titled “Of eyebrows and chest hair” there would have been some sense of consistency, but that is not what occurred.   Obviously the whole “Ice cream” interjection reached a level of silliness that, as I’m sure you can observe by one of my responses to it, I found ridiculous and irritating.  I must note, however, that the primary participants in the central debate were not the ones to bring in the “ice cream” distraction.  Including that as part of the title for the thread is somewhat insulting to the central debate and those participating in it.

An inherent problem seems to arise with the practice of beginning a thread with a title that includes a date, then becoming bothered when an extended discussion keeps that thread high on the list within the forum in which it was created.   It would only be logical if there were an automatic cut-off date (say, one week) when any “dated” thread is automatically moved to another forum, perhaps one titled, “Past episode discussions.”   Once a “dated” thread seems to develop into a discussion of a particular topic, perhaps a note could be left in the forum in which it originated (the “General Discussions” forum) indicating a new (and appropriate, respectful) title, telling those interested in that thread how they can find it.

I find myself asking:  is it not the primary purpose of a board such as this to engender discussions?  It would seem that any practices that restrict discussions are counterproductive to the purposes of the board.   You surely noticed that this thread had more than 1000 views; does that not indicate a high level of interest, for whatever reason?  I would suggest that, rather than arbitrarily pushing a thread into automatic oblivion, by re-titling and moving it so that no one can ever find it again (just how would anyone who might have found this thread interesting be able to find it now?), it might be better to determine what made this particular thread interesting, and try to encourage the same level of discussion throughout the board.

As far as the “respectful/disrespectful” question, the problem is that, although we are all adults here, we come with a wide variety of opinions as to what does and does not fall under the category of “disrespectful.”  If you have a particular operational definition in mind it would be best to spell that out rather than leaving participants on this board wondering whether or not their particular definition fits within the range of respectfulness that you are requiring.  I’m sure you don’t want to point fingers directly at anyone (or perhaps you do?) but at least some examples, making them as hypothetical as you would like, would be helpful.  It would be best to include this in either the “Forum guidelines and FAQ” or “How this board is moderated” – I may have missed it but, as far as I can see, the word “respectful” is not found anywhere in either of those.  If you have some sort of rule you intend to impose related to respectfulness, that really should be stated up front.

As I close I will be very honest and say that my debate with Brhannadas is the first time I have found this board of much interest.  Perhaps this is simply not the place for me if debates of this level are not to be allowed.  I don’t find the “New Board” (i.e. “CBS forums”) particularly interesting either, and rarely go or post there.   Admittedly, the “Old Board” got a little wild and woolly at times but it was, at all times, interesting.

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 19, 2008; 07:49pm Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

Peter,

Just so you know, there is no need to parse my every word. I know you like debate, but I honestly don't have the time or desire to debate you or anyone on this issue. Moving the thread to off-topic and renaming the thread does not prevent you or anyone from engaging in debate or conversation on this thread or this forum. Participants and subscribers will still get email notifications and the thread is still on the main page of this board, and will remain so as long as the thread is active. In no way has this thread been sent to oblivion.

I previously explained my reasoning for renaming and moving threads like this and I'm not going to repeat myself. I don't have any motives beyond what I stated. Quite simply, this is not the first Episode Discussion thread that has been moved/renamed and it likely will not be the last. I will take your suggestions regarding the titling of the discussion threads into consideration, but as of now, I barely have enough time to make the updates that I do here on a daily basis, so anything that adds to the amount of time that I spend on this board will likely not occur at this moment. Although, it is likely that I will be adding a couple of moderators very soon. So, maybe at that point, some of your suggestions can come into play.

What I would suggest to you or anyone else that is concerned with the possibility that (dated) episode discussion threads could be renamed or moved at some point, is to start a separate thread on whatever specific topic you are interested in discussing in the appropriate sub-forum and make a reference to that thread in the episode discussion thread. This is much easier than worrying about it or taking it personal if at some point the topic owner or I decide to rename the thread and/or move it.

As far as the name of the thread goes... I didn't think it would be offensive, but I understand your point.  I stated before that I would would rename it. Offer me a suggestion and I will do so.

No one has said that debates of this level are not allowed, so I'm not sure where you got that idea. My reminder to be respectful was, just that, a reminder.  Trust me, if I see that anyone is getting out of control, I will send them a warning via email. Unless you hear from me about your conduct, you don't have anything to worry about. So please continue your debate. If you are expecting me to spell out exactly what you can do and can't do, that's not going to happen. I will try to clarify the forum guidelines a little more in this regard, but as I said we are all adults and I should not have to spell this out to everyone. The point of everyone being moderators of their own threads on this forum is to allow the members to decide how to carry themselves what is acceptable in their own threads. That doesn't mean that I will let threads on this forum run rampant just because I'm not the owner. But it does mean that I will expect the owner of the thread to be responsible about what happens in their thread and take action on their own if things goes out of control. In this particular case, I am the owner of this thread and I will be watching over it more than I probably would other threads that I don't own.

Whether you find any of this acceptable is up to you. I've tried to create the most welcoming environment that I could for ATWT fans that were displaced when CBS pulled their bullshit with the new board, but there is no way that I can make everyone happy.

That is all I have to say on this matter. I will try to clarify the forum guidelines over the weekend. Let me know what you think an acceptable name for the thread is and I will change it.

Peter_Tchai
 25 posts  Sep 19, 2008; 08:19pm Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post & replies from thread
Move post & replies to...
Print post

(This post was updated on Sep 19, 2008; 09:21pm)
a_priori wrote:
Peter,

Just so you know, there is no need to parse my every word. I know you like debate, but I honestly don't have the time or desire to debate you or anyone on this issue.
I don't recall asking for debate...just answers and response to some concerns. My main points were that this thread was treated differently than others which also fell under the criteria of datedness and off-topic.  I can certainly understand the time constraints of keeping up with a board like this and I appreciate that you are at least willing to consider the thread titling / re-titling procedures and practices.

As far as whether or not the thread is in oblivion may be a matter of opinion...I'm sure you would view anything else I might say as debate, so I'm sure there's no use stating it.  I would only suggest that you note how active the thread was before and how it essentially "died" once it had been re-titled and moved (without prior notice or warning, as was given the other thread I noted).

As far as any individual participant in a thread taking it upon themselves to move the discussion, there are several issues (and here I won't apologize for taking this to the level of debate as these are things I think should be considered).  First, I doubt that many of us, as participants, have ever considered that might be necessary.  Second, trying to decide if and when to do that requires a lot of second guessing as to whether such a move is really necessary.  Third, I come to a board like this to discuss, not to plan the proper placement of the discussion; that falls to those who have designed and who "run" the board (yourself, in this case) which it would seem, out of courtesy to participants, to be done to make it as easy as possible to participate in the discussions.  That is done far better here than on the "New Board" (i.e., CBS forums) which I find extremely user unfriendly.  This board is considerably more user friendly and I have no criticisms for it in general -- I'm only raising questions regarding this single instance that involves me directly.

a_priori wrote:
I previously explained my reasoning for renaming and moving threads like this and I'm not going to repeat myself. I don't have any motives beyond what I stated. Quite simply, this is not the first Episode Discussion thread that has been moved/renamed and it likely will not be the last.
If my questions and comments prompted you to repeat yourself, then they would not have been expessed very well.  I was not expecting you to repeat yourself but, rather, to provide clarification.  I read your earlier responses so I know it's not the first or last Episode Discussion thread to be moved/renamed.  The clarification I needed and/or perhaps the suggestion I was making was that any thread being moved should always be given the kind of "warning" given the Aug. 13 thread, so that if participants did decide to continue it, and moving it seemed to be the best route, they would have the opportunity to do so.  Just asking for consistency.

a_priori wrote:
As far as the name of the thread goes... I didn't think it would be offensive, but I understand your point.  I stated before that I would would rename it. Offer me a suggestion and I will do so.
Certainly, we can't always know when something we say or do might be offensive to someone and I'm sure you had no idea how those of us involved in the "best man" portion of the thread would react.  As far as renaming this one, I think it's laid dormant long enough it's not really worth the effort now.  This does go back to the point, though, that it would be good to "warn" or suggest to participants that a thread be moved and then either give them the opportunity to choose a title, or you (or another moderator) make a suggestion (which the participants have the chance to "critique"), all of this before the thread actually gets moved.

a_priori wrote:
My reminder to be respectful was, just that, a reminder.  Trust me, if I see that anyone is getting out of control, I will send them a warning via email. Unless you hear from me about your conduct, you don't have anything to worry about. So please continue your debate. If you are expecting me to spell out exactly what you can do and can't do, that's not going to happen. I will try to clarify the forum guidelines a little more in this regard, but as I said we are all adults and I should not have to spell this out to everyone.
I don't recall asking you to "spell out exactly what you can and can't do" -- I believe I suggested providing examples and at least placing some wording related to being "respectful" in the forum guidelines. The fact that you will try to clarify the forum guidelines is all I was asking for.  You can't enforce "rules" that no one even knows exist; and there are plenty of ways of expressing guidelines related to being respectful that don't make it necessary for you to "spell this out to everyone."

Don't feel any particular need to respond to this post; your response assures me that you have heard my concerns, which is all I was asking.  The very fact that you are willing to consider clarifying the forum guidelines and also consider alternatives to naming and renaming "Episode Discussion" threads is a satisfactory response in itself.  You're right that you certainly can't please everyone -- doing everything you can to keep it fair and open, and moderated without being restrictive is all that can be asked.

a_priori
 662 posts  Sep 20, 2008; 07:32am Re: Of Best Men & Ice Cream  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove post from thread
Move post to...
Print post

Peter,

My coffee grinder seems to have stopped working this morning, so I'm in a bit of a debilitated state this morning without my caffeine. So, this may not make much sense, but...

You are right about me treating some threads differently. Dated Episode Discussion threads that go off topic and are very active will be treated differently. Unlike other episode discussion threads, they will continue pop up on the front page long after the episode has aired. This is the only reason that I treat some threads differently than others. I think it can be confusing/off putting to some forum visitors to see the front page of the forum filled with outdated topics and this is my effort to keep the board orderly/friendly/attractive to new members. While this might not be the best solution, this is what I felt was most achievable. I anticipated that this particular thread would be quite active for some time, thus the changes.

I think the fact that some of the previous participants, including yourself, have made comments in this thread since it was moved and renamed is proof that this thread is perfectly accessible to those than want to participate in it.  All of the participants of this thread are quite intelligent and likely able to adapt to such a change. Perhaps the problem is that some felt I was trying to stifle the debate in moving/renaming the thread and were offended by my actions. If that is the case, I am sorry. That was not my intention and I hope that anyone that wants to continue discussion in this thread will feel free to do so. In the future, I will make a better effort to notify the participants of a thread if the need to move a thread or rename it arises.

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Here is A_priori's rules on moderation:

a_priori
 669 posts  Aug 02, 2008; 03:40pm How This Forum is Moderated - Everyone Please Read  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove thread from forum
Move thread to...
Print post

(This post was updated on Aug 04, 2008; 04:32pm)
Nabble forums work a bit differently than most forums when it comes to moderating. The forum owner has the ability to remove posts and ban users from posting on a forum. That's pretty typical as far as message board moderation goes.

So what's so different?
The BIG difference between this and other message boards is that when you start a thread YOU own that thread and YOU are also a moderator of that thread as well. You have the ability to ban users from all of your threads, to remove posts from your thread, and to even delete the entire thread.

This should help us all out if the board comes under attack. Since, obviously, I will not always be around to moderate the board. So, if someone posts something offensive or against the forum rules in one of your threads. You have the power to do something about it, including removing the offensive post and banning that person from replying to any of your threads.

Best Policy
Banning a bad user on your threads might be helpful to you, but it's not going the help the rest of us very much. You need to let me know if there is someone that needs to be removed from the forum so I can ban them entirely, rather than everyone trying to do so on a thread by thread basis. So please... Keep me informed of anyone that is causing problems.

Let's not abuse this power
While it is nice to have the ability to ban a bad poster from our own threads, lets not let the power go to our heads and stifle communication on this message board. If you are going to ban everyone from posting on your threads, what's the point of coming to a message board? Right? With that said, if I see anyone abusing the ban feature or the moderation privileges you have over your own threads, I will ban those users completely from the board.

Regarding the creation of sub-forums
Nabble allows users to create sub-forums similar to the way a user creates a thread. My policy on this is that I would like to keep this message board as flat as possible. Meaning, I don't want a bunch of nested sub-forums which will make it difficult to manage and navigate this message board. So please... Do not create any sub-forums on your own or they will be deleted. If you think a sub-forum should be added, let me know and I will consider adding it.

The current forum moderators are myself an Thannyr.

If you have any questions about any of the above, please post them in our Help & Support forum.

My Words, Now, when I recall.  When I was placed under attack by demongirl.  The so-call Power tripping Co- moderater that he had at the time, Thannyr, Yelled at me as if I started the thread, in which another poster was attacking me.  Once again proving that this person, has no business running a Board, if he is going to play favoritism, selective with his members.  Keep in mind, he is the one stating not to abuse the power, and turning around and doing the very same thing.

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Continued:

As The World Turns - Fan Message Board Refresh  Permalink  Foulplay
Forum Guidelines and FAQs - Please Read Before Posting
 Classic
  List
  Threaded
    1 Message    Options Subscribe to this topic
Pin thread
Unpin thread
Move thread to...

a_priori
 669 posts  Aug 01, 2008; 04:24pm Forum Guidelines and FAQs - Please Read Before Posting  Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Remove thread from forum
Move thread to...
Print post

(This post was updated on Aug 05, 2008; 03:51am)
Deletion of Content/Termination of Account

Nabble does not moderate this forum. However, Nabble reserves the right to delete or block access to any content that you post if Nabble determines that your content is inappropriate for any reason, including Nabble's determination that the content infringes on another's intellectual property rights. Nabble provides the following examples of inappropriate content as a guideline, but this list is not all inclusive and it is subject to change:

    * Content that violates the laws of California or the United States;
    * Content that infringes intellectual property rights;
    * Defamatory content;
    * Content that violates the privacy rights of others;
    * Advertising;
    * Viruses and the like;
    * Hate speech;
    * Harassment;
    * Statements intended to perpetrate a fraud; and,
    * Pornography.

Posting of inappropriate content may lead to the termination of your account. Repeated copyright infringement will lead to the termination of your account.

In addition to Nabble's Rules, the following rules will specifically apply to this message board:

Lively discussion is expected and encouraged, however there will be NO tolerance for bigotry and NO tolerance for posters that are simply here to make trouble.

As far as posting posting photos go... As per Nabble's rules, pornographic photos are not permitted. Non-explicit photos (Shirtless men, etc...) are fine to post, but lets try to keep the off-topic photos in the Off-Topic forum.

I don't mind if you put your blog or your website in your signature, but spamming/advertising/soliciting for other forums is not permitted and neither is advertising for commercial products or services.

FAQs

My font is too small. How can I make it bigger?
Click on your user name in the upper right corner and in you profile click on Personal Settings In your personal settings click on Advanced Settings and there is an option to change your font size. Adjust your font size as needed. Default font size is 14.4px

How do I add an avatar, change my e-mail address, change my password, change my user name, add a signature, change viewing preferences, manage banned users, set email alerts, remove my account ?
Click on your user name in the upper right corner and in you profile click on Personal Settings to access these options.

You merged my thread into another thread or moved it to another forum... Do you hate me?
Yes, it's possible that I may hate you, but the more likely reason for me merging or moving your thread is to cut down on having too many threads with the same topic and to keep the board in good order.

How do I quote the person I am replying to?
Use the Quote Original button. (See image below)

Post a message in the Help and Support forum, if you need help with something that is not addressed here.

« Return to forum | 288 views
Free Forum Powered by Nabble  Forum Help

Continued
Problem still not resolved Here?

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Continued
 He deleted off the forum, but I got to it before he did.

netcat
   Oct 05, 2008; 03:23pm Re: Weekly Poll Discussion: If you could remove ONE character from the show, who would it be?   Reply Threaded More Reply to author
Ban author
Unban author
Edit post
Delete post permanently
Don't allow replies (Lock)
Allow replies (Unlock)
Move thread to...
Print post

This is to AP

Let me start by saying this, I think that you have done a good job on setting up this site, I enjoy reading the posts and I sometimes reply.

What I don't like is the way that you run it. You are very condesending and controlling. For God's sake this is just a freaking message board, it's not that important. In the grand scheme of life this board is nothing but a way for people to chill out, relax and talk to other people about a soap opera. And if they disagree with you, or don't like the characters that you like, you ban them. This is quite a dictatorship you have going on here.

Now with that said, and since you will be taking a long vacation from "my favorites, my cookies, and mind" I want you to know that I have lost all respect for you and this board. I wish you well in life. I will not be a "lurker" or a "poster", as you said if you don't like the way this board is run you can leave, well I for one am high-tailing it out of here before you ban me for speaking my mind,

 My Words,
Now, I know that quite a few people have left his board, since he banned me, so I know that my ban will not be in vain.  A_priori, needs to learn his lesson before he brings down the whole entire Nabble name.  I am urging you once again, to take control of the situation, before it has to land in the courts sometime in the future.

Re: A_priori Board is not being runned by the Guidelines

Foulplay
Continued
 People are starting to SPEAK UP
http://www.cbs.com/forum/posts/list/20911.page#268891